:: Frequently Asked Questions and Information you need::
Ray Tanner Home Run
8th Annual 12K, 5K and Kids Fun Run - October 12, 2013 - Carolina Baseball Stadium, Columbia, SC
9th Annual October 11, 2014
We have a "Athletes Guide" that should answer most
questions. It will be updated for 2014. For now please use
2013 as an example.
- Q. I missed the awards ceremony can I still get my award? Yes we
would be happy to mail it to you. Simply mail your bib number,
address you would like it to be mailed to and a $5 donation check
made out to Ray Tanner Foundation to;
Attn Ken Lowden, Ray Tanner Home Run
736 Harden St
Columbia, SC 29205
Congratulations on your excellent time and award.
- Q. Is there Early Packet Pick up? Yes as always we encourage those
who can to pick their race number, shirt and other goodies prior to
race day so you have one less thing to worry about that morning.
Details will be posted.
- Q. My friend registered and I missed the sellout. Can I just run with
them? The city permits limit how many people we can have on the
course. As a USATF Sanctioned Event everyone must have a Home
Run race bib visible from the front to be on any part of the course.
The tunnel entrance is for Athletes only with a race bib. Friends and
family can enter the stadium and walk to the infield through Gate 1.
- Q. My schedule has changed and I can't attend the race this year - is
there a refund? No we do not offer refunds. However we encourage
you to pick your race packet up so you have your shirt and run your
Home Run when and where you can. Send us a picture and we will
post it on our website. We had one from Alaska a few years ago. Of
course your registration is a donation - so please know you are
lending a helping hand.
- Q. Can someone else use my Bib? Not on Race Day. Prior to that
use the complete the Transfer Request on the home page and bring
it to Early Pakce Pickup with a $10 donation which goes to the Ray
Tanner Foundation charity.
- Parking A. Please arrive early - no later than 7:30am. Click here to
view parking map.
- Can someone else pick up my race packet at early packet pickup? A. Yes if you give
them your race number, trust this person and accept full responsibility if he/she fails to
give you your bib and/or very cool Home Run race shirt. They will be asked to sign for
your race packet.
- Is there a time limit on finishing. A. Yes - The course and finish line close at 9:30. The
12K is set up for a minimum pace of 12:00 which is a 1:29:28 run time. That would result
in a finish time about 9:30 am which is when Strictly Running starts converting the finish
line area for the awards ceremony. Scroll down to see a pace chart. The safety of our
1700 runners, 250 volunteers and dozens of police officers working on the course is our
- What are the 12K, 5K and 1mile awards? A. Finisher's medal + Age Group 3 deep for
under 11, 11-13, 14-16, 17-19, 20-24, 25-29, 30-34, 35-39, 40-44, 45-49, 50-54, 55-59,
60-64, 65-69, 70-74, 75 and older. Overall 1st, 2nd, 3rd. Overall first Masters, Grand
Masters, for men and women. The Youth 1 mile is a fun run not timed however all
finishers receive a Home Run medal.
431 Williams St (Tanner Way) Columbia, SC 29201
- What is the address of Carolina Baseball Stadium for my GPS?
- Is this a Chip timed race? A. Yes - Strictly Running will be using Start and Finish mats.
- Where can I find last year's results to compare my time? Thank you first of all for
returning to this year's Home Run. There is a link to 2011 and 2012 results on our home
- Q. Can I exit the parking area after the race starts? A. Entrance and exit to parking lot will
need to be closed for the 12K and 5K Start from 7:55 A until 8:45 A.
- Q What are the Kids Run age groups? A. Prior to the Kids Fun Run there are a number
of fun activities on the field thanks to our outstanding volunteer team including The
Optimist Club & Rice Creek Pediatric Dentistry. For the run kids line up with Karen
Tanner as the official starter and run in three or four groups depending on ability.
- Q. Are baby strollers and pets permitted? A. Yes. However please be safe on the roads
as they will be coned off but not closed to traffic in many areas. And you may be stopped
by Event Security if your stroller looks like it should be searched for something other than
a young future runner entering the field.
- Q. Are headphones permitted? A. We believe your race experience and those around you
will be greatly enhanced by leaving the headphones at home or in the car. Running
headphone-free allows opportunities to develop camaraderie with your fellow runners
and to enjoy everything the race has to offer. Plus, volunteers and spectators will be on
course cheering you on and providing directions to help get you to the finish line.Runner
safety has always been, and will continue to be, a top priority for our event.
- Q. I missed this year"s Home Run but how do I still like to make a donation A. First of all
thank you for your contribution. We look forward to including you in this year's fund raiser.
Simply email Ken@RayTannerHomeRun.org, make your check out to the 2013 Ray
Tanner Home Run and mail to: The Ray Tanner Foundation Home Run, 306 Sims
Avenue, Columbia, SC 29205.
|What Is Your
"Great race today. It was so well
done and I loved the 12K
"The ROTC group from AC Flora
were awesome. They were
friendly, helpful and
enthusiastic." Steve Auld
"Thanks for an amazing race
today! What an awesome day
for running! Wonderful Leona
water stop!" Theresa Penney
"Everything was so well
organized and the event was
great fun! Best after-race food
ever! Thank you for a wonderful
race." Milly Hough
Had a great time this morning!
Very organized race, great
course and WONDERFUL
support every inch of the way!"
"Had the greatest run this
morning! Ray Tanner was the
COOLEST race ever!" Martha
"The amazing running family in
Columbia got together for an
awesome race this morning:
Ray Tanner Home Run 12/5K!
Thank you." Teo Gamishev
"Thanks for a great race
experience. It was our first and
we truly enjoyed the entire
event. I'm sure we'll be back in
years to come."
"Great Race Saturday! I had a
good time and I like the flatter
new course. Next year get the
Greek Village involved. It would
be cool to have them going
crazy while runners run through
Every year gets better and
better and this year was no
exception. A flawless transition
to the new baseball stadium.
First class all the way around.
Thanks so much what you do for
the running community!!!
Your questions and feedback
help our all volunteer Event
Team tremendously and are
Race Director, Ray Tanner
Foundation Board of Directors