:: Frequently Asked Questions and Information you need::
Ray Tanner Home Run
9th Annual 12K, 5K and Kids Fun Run - October 11, 2014 - Carolina Baseball Stadium, Columbia, SC
We have a "Athletes Guide" that should answer most
questions. It will be updated for 2014 a few weeks prior to
- Q. Is there Early Packet Pickup? Yes as always we encourage those
who can to pick their race number, shirt and other goodies prior to
race day so you have one less thing to worry about that morning.
Details will be posted.
- Q. Is there a bag drop at the finish line? No. We provide a free clear
plastic Home Run race bag which is just right for friends or family
members to bring you a dry shirt at the finish line. For your safety no
backpacks, running bags or other large bags are permitted inside
Carolina Stadium. We added the clear race bag for your use after
the tragic events at the Boston Marathon.
- Q. What if I don't have race bib? The city permits limit how many
people we can have on the course. As a USATF Sanctioned Event
everyone must have a Home Run race bib visible from the front to be
on any part of the course. The tunnel entrance is for Athletes only
with a race bib. The friendly USC Police and race officials will remove
anyone from the course without a bib.
- Q. Are friends and family allowed on the playing field? Yes Friends
and family always add to the fun at Home Plate. They can enter the
stadium and walk to the infield through Gate 1. Remember no
backpacks or other large bags allowed inside the stadium.
- Q. Can an adult run with someone in the youth under 18 1 miler?
Yes we are always happy to have extra adults with our kids. Ask for
an "Youth Escort" bib at early packet pickup.
- Q. I am a limited sight runner. Can I have a guide? Yes and we will
even enter your guide at a reduced entry fee as a thank you to your
guide for helping a fellow runner.
- Q. My schedule has changed and I can't attend the race this year - is
there a refund? No we do not offer refunds. However we encourage
you to pick your race packet up so you have your shirt and run your
Home Run when and where you can. Send us a picture and we will
post it on our website. We had one from Alaska a few years ago. Of
course your registration is a donation - so please know you are
lending a helping hand.
- Q. Can someone else use my Bib? Not on Race Day. Prior to that
use the complete the Transfer Request on the home page and bring
it to Early Packet Pickup with a $10 donation which goes to the Ray
Tanner Foundation charity.
- Parking A. Please arrive early - no later than 7:30am. Click here to
view parking map.
- Can someone else pick up my race packet at early packet pickup? A. Yes if you give
them your race number, trust this person and accept full responsibility if he/she fails to
give you your bib and/or very cool Home Run race shirt. They will be asked to sign for
your race packet.
- Is there a time limit on finishing. A. Yes - The course and finish line close at 9:30. The
12K is set up for a minimum pace of 12:00 which is a 1:29:28 run time. That would result
in a finish time about 9:30 am which is when Strictly Running starts converting the finish
line area for the awards ceremony. Scroll down to see a pace chart. The safety of our
1700 runners, 250 volunteers and dozens of police officers working on the course is our
- What are the 12K, 5K and 1mile awards? A. Finisher's medal + Age Group 3 deep for
under 11, 11-13, 14-16, 17-19, 20-24, 25-29, 30-34, 35-39, 40-44, 45-49, 50-54, 55-59,
60-64, 65-69, 70-74, 75 and older. Overall 1st, 2nd, 3rd. Overall first Masters, Grand
Masters, for men and women. The Youth 1 mile is a fun run not timed however all
finishers receive a Home Run medal.
431 Williams St (Tanner Way) Columbia, SC 29201
- What is the address of Carolina Baseball Stadium for my GPS?
- Is this a Chip timed race? A. Yes - Strictly Running will be using Start and Finish mats
for the 12K and 5K.
- Where can I find last year's results to compare my time? Thank you first of all for
returning to this year's Home Run. There is a link to 2011, 2012 and 2013 results on our
- Q. Can I exit the parking area after the race starts? A. Entrance and exit to parking lot will
need to be closed for the 12K and 5K Start from 7:55 A until 8:45 A.
- Q What are the Kids Run age groups? A. Prior to the Kids Fun Run there are a number
of fun activities on the field thanks to our outstanding volunteer team including The
Optimist Club & Rice Creek Pediatric Dentistry. For the run kids line up with Karen
Tanner as the official starter and run in three or four groups depending on ability.
- Q. Are baby strollers and pets permitted? A. Yes for baby strollers. However please be
safe on the roads as they will be coned off but not closed to traffic. You may be stopped
by Event Security if your stroller looks like it should be searched for something other than
a young future runner entering the field. Pets are not allowed inside the stadium on the
athletic field. No explanation needed there - we love our pets but the player making a
diving catch after our race with his face in the grass will appreciate your understanding.
- Q. Are headphones permitted? A. We believe your race experience and those around you
will be greatly enhanced by leaving the headphones at home or in the car. Running
headphone-free allows opportunities to develop camaraderie with your fellow runners
and to enjoy everything the race has to offer. Plus, volunteers and spectators will be on
course cheering you on and providing directions to help get you to the finish line.Runner
safety has always been, and will continue to be, a top priority for our event.
|What Is Your
"Great race today. It was so well
done and I loved the 12K
"The ROTC group from AC Flora
were awesome. They were
friendly, helpful and
enthusiastic." Steve Auld
"Thanks for an amazing race
today! What an awesome day
for running! Wonderful Leona
water stop!" Theresa Penney
"Everything was so well
organized and the event was
great fun! Best after-race food
ever! Thank you for a wonderful
race." Milly Hough
Had a great time this morning!
Very organized race, great
course and WONDERFUL
support every inch of the way!"
"Had the greatest run this
morning! Ray Tanner was the
COOLEST race ever!" Martha
"The amazing running family in
Columbia got together for an
awesome race this morning:
Ray Tanner Home Run 12/5K!
Thank you." Teo Gamishev
"Thanks for a great race
experience. It was our first and
we truly enjoyed the entire
event. I'm sure we'll be back in
years to come."
"Great Race Saturday! I had a
good time and I like the flatter
new course. Next year get the
Greek Village involved. It would
be cool to have them going
crazy while runners run through
Every year gets better and
better and this year was no
exception. A flawless transition
to the new baseball stadium.
First class all the way around.
Thanks so much what you do for
the running community!!!
Your questions and feedback
help our all volunteer Event
Team tremendously and are
Race Director, Ray Tanner
Foundation Board of Directors